Public Adjuster Surety Bonds

What is a public adjuster surety bond?

A public adjuster is an insurance claims professional who acts on behalf of the policyholder to research and negotiate claims with the insurance company. To operate as an insurance adjuster, a public adjuster bond (also known as an insurance adjuster bond) is required by licensing authorities in certain states.

Why do I need a public adjuster bond?

If your business negotiates insurance claims for your customers, many states will require you to maintain a public adjuster bond as part of their licensing requirements.

Licensing authorities require that certain professions maintain a minimum amount of financial standing in the event of insolvency. Insurance companies offer surety bonds to licensed professionals as a simple way to meet the state financial liability requirements for licensure.

Get Your Public Adjuster Surety Bond


How much does a public adjuster surety bond cost?

Your surety bond premium can range from 1% to 3% of the full bond amount if your financial health is good. In California, you can get a $20,000 insurance adjuster bond for a premium of $100 annually, depending on your qualifying credit history.

Cost of Public Adjuster Surety Bonds
State Bond Amount Cost
(Annual Premium)
California $20,000 $100
Delaware $20,000 $140
Florida $50,000 $500
Georgia $5,000 $100
Indiana $10,000 $100
Iowa $20,000 $350 (two years)
Kentucky $20,000 $200
Louisiana $50,000 $500
New Hampshire $20,000 $200*
New Jersey $10,000 $100
New Mexico $10,000 $100*
North Carolina $20,000 $100
Ohio $1,000 $75
Oklahoma $25,000 $250
Pennsylvania $20,000 $150
Tennessee $50,000 $500
Virginia $50,000 $300

* Cost can vary depending on the bond amount required and your credit rating

How can I qualify for a public adjuster bond?

When you apply for your bond, the surety company (such as NNA Surety Bonds) will examine your personal credit score, business financial health, and other factors. If your financial situation is strong, you pose a lower risk and, in some states, you’ll qualify for a lower premium.

To learn more about getting the surety bond required in your state, contact us! Just call 855-215-2160 or use our simple contact form.

What else should I know about being an insurance adjuster?

There are three classes of insurance claims adjusters:

  • Public Adjusters: employed by the policyholder.
  • Staff Adjusters: employed by an insurance company or self-insured entity.
  • Independent Adjusters: independent contractors hired by the insurance company.

As with all surety bonds, the public adjuster bond is a contract among three entities, the principal (you), the obligee (the state authority), and the surety (the company providing the bond).

Questions? Call NNASurety Bonds at 855-215-2160
Monday to Friday, 6 a.m. to 5 p.m. (PT)

Providing Bonds and Insurance Since 1957