Kansas Surety Bonds

Surety Bond Requirements in KS

The state of Kansas requires certain professionals, companies, and agencies to post surety bonds as a means of protecting those with whom they conduct business.

Though many license bond regulations are set at the state level, a large number of bonds are also required by cities and counties in Kansas. For example, Wichita requires bonds for HVAC workers, cement contractors, electrical contractors, excavators, plumbers, sign hangers, and many other trades and businesses.

We can help you with some of the state's most popular bond types, including motor vehicle dealer, money transmitter, and title insurance agent bonds.

To ensure your business is in compliance with Kansas bonding regulations, speak with a specialist at NNA Surety Bonds. We've been providing affordable policies to companies and individuals across the United States since 1957.

We offer the following surety bonds in the state of Kansas:

Money Transmitter Bond

If your business provides money transfer services or payment instruments, you'll need to be licensed as a money transmitter in Kansas through the Nationwide Multistate Licensing System (NMLS). According to state guidelines, the bond amount you'll need to obtain must be:

  • the greater of $200,000 or
  • 0.25% of the most recent year's transaction volume.

The bond agreement states that you, as the principal, agree to faithfully perform your obligations in respect to the receipt, handling, transmission, and payment of monetary value. The bond may be used to pay expenses, fees, fines, and damages to the injured party should you cause harm by failing to comply with the provisions of the Kansas Money Transmitter Act.

Motor Vehicle Dealer Bond

In Kansas, vehicle dealers, manufactured home dealers, and vehicle salespeople are all licensed through the Department of Revenue.

The dealer license and bonding requirement applies to new, used, salvage, wholesale, and auction motor vehicle dealers. To do business, you must post a $30,000 surety bond.

Your cost for this Kansas auto dealer bond starts as low as $300, but will depend on underwriter evaluation of your credit score.

Title Insurance Agent Surety Bond

The Kansas Insurance Department grants licenses to title insurance agents and requires a surety bond based on the population of the county in which the agent operates.

Bond Amounts for Kansas Title Agents
County Population Bond Amount
Less than 20,000 $25,000
20,001 to 40,000 $50,000
Greater than 40,000 $100,000

This bond requires the agent to properly handle money held in escrow and to comply with all Kansas statutes pertaining to performance of duties. If a claim against the title insurance agent is upheld, the bond may be tapped to pay damages to the injured party, which the agent must then repay to the surety company.

Due to the large bond sizes necessary for Kansas title agents, annual premiums are subject to underwriting. Applicants with exceptional credit could pay as little as 1% of the full bond amount, or $250 to $1,000.

Kansas Surety Bond Costs
Bond Name Coverage Amount Cost*
(Annual Premium)
Regulatory Authority
Money Transmitter Bond $200,000 minimum Starts at $2,000 Kansas Office of the State Bank Commissioner
Motor Vehicle Dealer Bond $30,000 $300 Kansas Department of Revenue Division of Vehicles Dealer Licensing Bureau
Title Insurance Agent Bond $25,000/$50,000/$100,000 $250–$1,000 Kansas Insurance Department

* Cost can vary depending on the bond amount required and your credit rating

Get Your Kansas Surety Bond


Our knowledge of Kansas state bond requirements means we can provide accurate quotes quickly. For guidance through the process of selecting or renewing surety bonds for your business, talk to one of our experts today.

For faster service, call us at 855-215-2160
Monday to Friday, 6 a.m. to 5 p.m. (PT)